Parks & Watersheds Committee
To address issues concerning Soapstone Valley and Melvin Hazen Trail
Erica Rosenberg (Chair)
Commissioner David Cristeal
Commissioner Dipa Mehta
Hello Committee Members and Others–
We had a small but productive meeting. Only six of us showed up so I wonder if folks had technological difficulties. Apologies if you did.
First, we voted unanimously to name the Committee “Parks and Watersheds.” Second, we had a brief discussion of the problem of social (unofficial) trails in Rock Creek. Finally, and most importantly, altho no one volunteered to be secretary (any takers now?), everyone on the call volunteered to watchdog various issues as follows:
1. Soapstone Valley: Watchdog and update on reconstruction (late 2020, DC Water) Linnean Outfall—trail erosion: Lois Forster, Judy Buelow
2. Hearst: Watchdog and update, integrating concerns into our work per Cleveland Park listserv (disconnect between ANC and DC agencies): Cory Levine
3. Linnean and Broad Branch Daylighted Streams: Maintenance – Marlene Berlin
4. Melvin Hazen: Stream Reconstruction: DOEE, advocate on Mayor’s budget this fall: Cory Levine
5. Connecticut Avenue Streetscape Project: Storm water management and coordination with Streets and Sidewalks Committee: Barbara Bates
6. Stormwater and Water Quality Management Advocacy: Stormwater Credits: Judy Buelow; Seventh Day Adventist Church Stormwater Issues: Marlene Berlin
Thanks to all the volunteers for taking on these projects and helping to define what role the Committee and ANC can play in steering them. If you would like to help out on any of these issues (or other issues not assigned), please get in touch with the volunteers; their emails are above. If folks have other issues they want to bring up or have ideas for speakers, please get in touch with me.